Hypospermia or low semen volume is a condition where the body produces less than 1.5 millilitres of semen in one ejaculation.
Low semen volume is related to two main glands in the male reproductive organ:
- Seminal vesicles: They are responsible for the production of semen plasma.
- Prostrate: This gland stores fructose. The liquid produced by the seminal vesicles drains into the prostate, picks up fructose and moves further for the collection of sperms.
The condition of low semen volume should not be confused with oligospermia or low sperm count. While both contribute to either interfility or subfertility, low sperm count happens when one has less than 10 million sperm per millilitre.
In this article, we shall discuss what causes low semen volume and some ways in which the condition can be improved.
Causes of Low Semen Volume
Some of the common causes of low semen volume are listed below:
- Retrograde ejaculation: Usually associated with prostate surgery, it is a condition where the sperm travels backwards into the bladder from the person who ejaculates the semen. Sometimes, it may also be a result of abnormalities of the male urethra or certain medications.
- Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome: This is a condition where a person is genetically resistant or insensitive to the sex hormones or androgens produced by the body. It might be a partial condition or complete.
- Abstinence: Sometimes, if a person does not ejaculate regularly, either by masturbating or while having sex, it may cause low semen volume.
- Ejaculatory obstruction: Blockage or scarring in the pathway of ejaculation is also associated with a low sperm volume. Blockages might be due to genetic abnormalities, accidents, surgeries, etc.
- Neurological ED (erectile dysfunction): The nerve endings of the penis might not carry any impulse, which can result in erectile dysfunction. This also leads to a lower sperm volume.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Insufficient hormones like testosterone might lower the semen production. This causes insufficient semen volume while ejaculating.
- Drinking or smoking: Research has shown that smoking or drinking alcohol has a negative impact on the whole body.
How to improve low semen volume
One can try and use the following methods to improve semen volume:
- Eating foods rich in fibre, zinc, vitamin C and minerals to naturally increase semen volume. Avoid trans-fat or junk food.
- Occasional masturbation helps to increase semen volume.
- Avoid drinking or smoking, to boost semen production as well as volume.
- Try doing Kegel exercises. In the Kegel exercise, you try to squeeze and release your muscles which are used for urination. A study has shown that doing pelvic floor muscles exercise, including Kegel exercise, helps boost semen volume.
- Be relaxed while having sex, don't take much pressure on yourself; enjoy yourself and be in the moment.
- Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep every day. Research shows that getting a good night's sleep helps boost semen volume.
- Consult a doctor who can recommend you the right supplements and medicine which would help your condition.
Janani has holistic solutions to help you improve your semen volume. Explore our Volumax Program made specifically for individuals looking to improve their semen health.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with news around the world on reproductive and sexual wellness.